How Often Should I Receive a Massage?
If you are a massage therapist, you’ve probably heard this question many times from clients. How do you determine the answer?
The first question to have your client answer is:
- For what purpose are you receiving massage?
- Is it for relaxation/health maintenance?
- Is it for managing stress?
- Is it for pain reduction/management?
- What is your client’s goal?
- If the purpose is for relaxation/health maintenance, massage 1 to 2 times a month can yield excellent results.
- For those whose lives are stressful due to their occupation or life situation, once every week or two can help calm those dealing with high stress.
- When the reason for receiving massage is for pain reduction and management, one to two times a week until pain is reduced. When the pain is reduced, then the frequency of massage can be lessened as needed.
- How much they can budget for massage therapy?
- The answer to this question will be unique for each client.
A lot of clients have done their research and know that massage therapy is a wonderful way to help maintain their health, lessen the stress in their lives and help with pain management. They are asking you – the expert – what you would suggest. Be honest with your client and ask the above questions and go from there.
By: Sharon Lively